Someone you loved has died. You are beginning a journey that is often frightening, painful and sometimes lonely. No words, written or spoken, can take away the pain you now feel.
The following organizations are additional sources of information, education and referral that may bring you some comfort and encouragement as you make a commitment to help yourself heal.
Funerals and Related Matters – National Organizations and Support Resources
- International Cemetery, Cremation & Funeral Association – http://www.iccfa.com
- Cremation Association of North America – firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Order of the Golden Rule – email@example.com
- National Funeral Directors Association – http://www.nfda.org
- Selected Independent Funeral Homes – http://www.selectedfuneralhomes.org
- Funeral Service Association of Canada – http://www.fsac.ca
National Self-Help Organizations and Support Groups
- AARP, Widowed Person’s Services – http://www.aarp.org Independent branches of this organization can be found by searching online for Widowed Persons Services and the name of your town and state.
- American Association of Suicidology – http://suicidology.org Information and resources; referrals to suicide survivor groups
- Center for Loss and Life Transition – http://centerforloss.com Resources, education and training, and referral for bereaved families; provides certificate program in Death and Grief studies for bereavement professionals
- The Compassionate Friends – http://www.compassionatefriends.org Information and resources for bereaved families who have experienced the death of a child
- The Dougy Center – http://www.dougy.org Information, education, referral and support for children and families; publishes a national directory of support programs for bereaved children
- Share – http://www.nationalshare.org Pregnancy and infant loss support
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) – http://www.MADD.org Education, resources and advocacy for bereaved families
- Parents of Murdered Children, Inc – http://www.pomc.com Information, resources and support for bereaved families
- National Hospice and Palliative Care – http://www.nhpco.org
- National Institute of Mental Health Public Inquiries – http://www.nimh.nih.gov Education and publications for families and professionals